Last Updated on by Chris Thompson
Have you heard about the new treatment for Erectile Dysfunction? ED is no joke it affects over 150 million men worldwide.
Every man’s dream is to have a big functioning penis. However, this is not always the case since a significant percentage of the male population has at one time experienced erectile dysfunction.
Nothing kills a man’s ego and morale more than erectile dysfunction. Ever had a woman over and tried having sex with her but your penis just couldn’t rise to the occasion? I know it sucks and trying to explain to her why it happened is even worse.
There are various treatment options for erectile dysfunction with the most common being the use of penis pumps.
Other treatment methods include stem cell therapy, shock wave therapy, penile surgery, penile suppositories, penile implants, penile injections, PDE5 inhibitors, and electrical stimulation. Yes, you got that right, you’ll have to zap your penis with a tens unit.
Electrical stimulation involves zapping your penis to improve blood flow thus making your erection stronger. It might sound scary but sexual-health specialists and urologists are confident that this method will work.
TENS Therapy for ED
Human beings love stimulants. For years we’ve been zapping our bodies just for the fun and thrill. In the same line of thought, doctors came up with a way to stimulate different parts of the body using electrotherapy.
The most popular form of electrotherapy is transcutaneous electrical neuromodulation (TENS).
For decades, TENS has been administered in chronic pain clinics and physical therapy. For example, if you place two electrodes on your skin, allow an electric current to pass through to your skin tissue, you will experience a tickling sensation as the electric current hits your nerves.
The electric current can also cause muscle contractions thus disrupting or drowning out pain. A tens unit delivers electrical impulses through its electrodes which are attached to the skin. The electrical impulses disrupt the nervous system decreasing its ability to transmit signals such as pain signals to the brain and the spinal cord.
It can also be used to send electrical impulses which instead of hindering the ability to transmit signals, the impulses stimulate the production of endorphins- natural pain relievers. You can tweak the settings of tens a unit by fiddling with the various dials to boost both the frequency and intensity so that it can trigger more muscle contractions.
Electrotherapy uses electrical impulses from the tens unit to trigger neovascularization, a process that is associated with the formation of new blood vessels. Since the therapy will be targeting the penis, you will experience increased blood flow due to the formation of new blood vessels.
For years, electrotherapy has been used in hospitals to help patients with kidney stones, heart diseases, joint inflammation, and fractures. It wasn’t until recently that scientists discovered that it can treat erectile dysfunction. It’s not exactly a cure for ED but it’s a good place to start. Scientists are still refining the electrotherapy to make it more efficient in treating ED.
How effective are tens unit on erectile dysfunctions?
In 2015, a study that involved 30 patients suffering from erectile dysfunction was conducted in Cairo. The patients were divided into two groups; one group was subjected to tens and pelvic floor exercises while the second group was subjected to pelvic floor biofeedback training.
The results demonstrated that TENS was a superior method of correcting erectile dysfunction compared to biofeedback training. However, the use of a tens unit to correct ED is still a subject for debate since the results of similar experiments have been inconclusive.
Is the use of Tens Unit for Erectile Dysfunction safe?
Zapping or shocking your body parts is considered safe since it has been in use for several decades in the treatment of back pain. The effectiveness of this treatment is mixed and it’s not recommended since there is not enough research on the subject. There is not enough evidence to prove whether the tens unit is effective in the treatment of erectile dysfunction.
However, even with all lack of conclusive information men are still zapping their penises. This is because urologists believe that the new treatment is promising. The tens therapy is available in several clinics in the US and a few other countries.
It’s fast gaining popularity among middle-aged men struggling with erectile dysfunction. Most users claim that the electronic impulses trigger the growth of new nerve tissues and blood vessels within the penis. This improves tissue sensitivity and blood flow to the penis.
However, the science to support these claims is not quite there. The FDA is yet to approve the use of this technology for erectile dysfunction treatment although the same unit is approved for lateral epicondylitis and plantar fasciitis.
Early clinical studies show that the treatment is safe for use and has been successful in some cases. However, there still a need to conduct extensive and long-term studies on the subject before a definite decision can be made.
Clinical trials of electrotherapy have yield encouraging results and the process has had little or no side effects on the patients. Most of the participants of these trials have reported some improvement in their erections such that they could have sex.
However, men with severe ED require continuous therapy combined with ED medication for the best results. Electrotherapy is administered in a clinic and can last between 15-20 minutes. The procedure is painless thus doesn’t require anesthesia. For the best results, the clinician is required to target different areas of your penis. During the procedure, you’ll experience a tingling sensation that subsides after a few seconds.
Electrotherapy is said to the best option for men who are trying to quit using Viagra. According to a Washington-based physician, tens which is a form of electrotherapy could be the key to treating erectile dysfunction.
Electrotherapy has been successful in Europe for years and replicating the same in the US shouldn’t be a problem. Helping a man regain his ability to get and retain an erection could be the key to a happy sex life. It takes away the stress and restores self-confidence in these men.
Where to Place TENS Pads for ED
Just like any other medical device, it is important to learn how to use a TENS unit properly to get the maximum benefits. Here are some tips and recommendations worth taking into consideration when using the unit, they include but are not limited to the following:
1. You should test the battery pack of the unit and make sure it is fully charged. The unit usually has two control knobs: one makes the signal either strong or weak whereas the other knob can be used to make the signals slow or fast. Turn off both knobs before you start using the device.
2. Once you have identified where you will be placing the electrodes, use some rubbing alcohol and clean the skin thoroughly. Allow the skin to dry. Put a thin coat of gel at the bottom of each electrode. This gel helps the electrical signals to easily get to the nerves under the skin.
3. You should then go ahead and put the electrodes on your skin, using a medical tape to cover the electrode and ensure it is kept in place. If you are unable to comfortably reach the area of your body where you want to place the electrode, seek some assistance from someone to ensure that the electrode is accurately and firmly placed.
4. Once this is done, hook the pin connectors on the end of the electrode wires to the electrode and then go ahead and plug the electrode wires into the TENS unit. At this point, slowly turn the control knobs to the correct setting. You should feel some slight tingling setting. Then proceed and adjust the unit, as advised earlier by a health professional, place the unit in your pocket or hook it to your belt.
5. After you are through with using the unit, turn off the control knobs and then carefully unplug the electrode wires from the unit. Remove the electrodes from the skin and wash the skin where the electrodes were previously placed. Using some soap and water, thoroughly clean the electrodes and let them dry. Never use alcohol to clean the electrode since this can damage the rubber on the electrode.
6. If you are using the electrodes around the clock, make sure you remove them at least once day and check your skin under them for tenderness or redness. Clean this area when you remove the electrodes and use some mild lotion on the area. For each treatment, move the electrodes slightly to a different position and put a new layer of gel on the bottom. Make sure you don’t get near water while wearing the turned on unit.
7. Inform your healthcare provider if you cannot feel anything at all when you switch the unit on, as this may be a sign that the signal is too slow or too weak. On the other hand if you feel your muscles start to twitch this can be a sign that the signal is too fast or too strong and necessary adjustments need to be made.